Syddansk Universitet (SDU)
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science and the Department of Design and Communication at the University of Southern Denmark invite applications for a PhD position. The position will be filled in the area of Big Data and Privacy Enhancing Technologies.
Possible areas for the PhD project include, but are not limited to, privacy-by-design, machine learning-driven anonymization, and privacy-preserving data mining.
The appointment will be made for a term of three years at a competitive salary. The proposed starting date is October 2017, but earlier and later starting dates can be negotiated.
We seek an ambitious candidate with a background in one or more of the following areas:
• Big Data systems
• Data mining
• Machine learning
• Data science
• Privacy and ICT ethics
Experience in programming and an interest in cross-disciplinary collaboration is expected. The successful applicant holds a master's degree in computer science, statistics, information technology (such as for instance cand.it) or a related field.
For further information please contact Professor WSR Peter Schneider-Kamp, tel.: +45 6550 2327, e-mail:
Application, salary etc.
Appointment as a PhD Research Fellow is for three years. Employment stops automatically at the end of the period. The holder of the scholarship is not allowed to have other paid employment during the three-year period.
The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement of 10 November 2015 on salaried PhD scholars between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
The successful candidate will be enrolled at this university in accordance with faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Application must be made in the form of a Declaration of Interest including the following:
• A research proposal/description of your approach to the above project (max one page excluding references)
• A letter stating your specific interest, motivation and qualifications for the project in question (max. two pages) (please attach this under box "Application form")
• Detailed CV, including personal contact information
• Copies of diplomas, Bachelor as well as Master’s degree, including transcript of notes/grades
• At least two signed reference letters. Should your referees wish to send their letters directly to us, please have them use e-mail: mentioning your name and the title of the position in the subject line. And please note that these also need to reach us before deadline.
Further information about the PhD-study can be found at the homepage of the University.
Applications must be submitted electronically using the link below. Attached files must be in Adobe PDF or Word format. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb. We strongly recommend that you read How to apply before you apply.
Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will neither be considered nor evaluated. This also applies to reference letters.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
07 juli 2017 (Application deadline: 07 july 2017)